What is Depression?
Those times when everything is gloomy, you have low energy, and you don’t want to talk to anyone, or even leave the house. You are home alone, sad, crying for no apparent reason, not eating much, or overeating. This could mean you are suffering from depression. Depression, like other psychological disorders, happens on a spectrum.
Signs and symptoms of Depression
Depression presents itself in many different ways:
- Changes in sleep, eating, and sex patterns
- Difficulty concentrating and focusing
- Negative emotions: sadness, pessimistic, hopeless, depleted, lost
- Being self-critical or self-destructive
- Suicidal thoughts
- Isolation or avoidance of people or crowds
- Argumentative or irritable
- Increased use of alcohol, caffine, over-the-counter medications (analgesics, sleeping pills, laxatives, vitamins), or stimulant drugs.
Causes of Depression
Feeling depressed is something that all humans go through now and then. The feeling usually goes away after 4 to 6 months. But, at times, depression stays for a long time and is very intense. Depression can be caused by hereditary (genetic), life events or medical and other psychological issues.
How we treat Depression
At Tampa Therapy & Wellness, we often use an integrative approach to treat depression. We use techniques from Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), as well as psychotherapy, Mindfulness, ACT, EFT, and other types of therapy.
Typical outcomes of Depression treatment
After completing treatment, patients can expect to recover from depression and not take any more medications, returning to the optimal level of well-being.
Call now for a FREE 15-minute phone consultation, (813) 530-5180.